New here...

Old 07-02-2007, 12:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here...

Well, my husband admitted that he had a drinking problem this past Friday. He has not had a drink since last Thursday night.

I am soooooooooooooooooooooo proud of him.

When does the tremors stop?

He acts like he is on drugs (I know he is not). His eyes are wild looking.

Can anyone give me some pointers here?

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2007, 12:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Has he seen a doctor? Detox for alcohol can be tricky, even deadly....literally.

Glad you are here!

People on the alcoholism forum could probably give you some info about their detoxes.

Hope you stick around with us!
Old 07-02-2007, 12:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Let Go Let God

Hi suportive and welcome to SR .. Glad you are here and many others will be around with well wishes and advice soon ....
Detoxing is actually very dangerous and should never be done without medical care. I've learned that here . Detoxing from alcohol is actually more dangerous than detoxing from drugs . You may want to think of taking him to the ER to get his vitals checked , even though its been a few days , its not too late .. or to his own Dr at the very least . Admission is definitely the first step but there are many many more . Its a long process . He is very lucky to have you .. Read some of the stickys about detoxing on the top of the forum . Lots of luck being wished for you and prayers being said !

M
Old 07-02-2007, 12:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

He is under medical care - his doctor is out of the country at this time - prescribed Xanax for the tremors.

Hubby is determined to this on his own, but your posts are scaring me. I will read posts on detox...

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2007, 12:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello. Is he quitting without any meds? If so, he could be in danger of a siezure. When my AH wanted to detox at home, he was given 3 different meds. Yes, my AH had the wild eyes...very big. He was very nervous, jittery. He had difficulty sleeping. He was given Lorazapam for this. The worst part was the awake nightmares, halucinations. He thought he had a car wreck, was steering the car etc. Then a few minutes later, different awake dream, he ran out the front door in his underwear at 2 am letting indoor cats out. He thought he was fully clothed on a hotel balcony. It was awful. Depending on how much he's detoxing, the shakes may quit in two or 3 days. He may have the hallucinations today...I think it was on day 5. Good luck...I wasn't prepared on how hard it was. AH wasn't prepared on how hard it was to not start drinking again...he made it 4 months before he started back up. It's 7 months and 2 more detoxes later (at a facility) and he still can't stop from starting again. They say quitting is the easy part, it's not starting again that's hard. Hope your situation turns out better than mine. Prayers for you and him.
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

welcome, supportive. i have an alcoholic/addict daughter - in recovery, but struggles. alanon and private counseling help me. keep posting! k
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome SW, glad you've joined us! Stick around and keep reading, there's lots of useful info, advice, and friends to be made.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When my dh went through detox it was in the hospital. I was not allowed to visit him as visiting hours were only one day a week so I am not sure exactly what he was on. I know he was on 3 or 4 medications and the only one I can remember was librium. Since his Dr is on vacation it may be wise to be checked out by someone else if possible and especially if you are worried. My dh was told that if he were not on the medications and monitored closely he may have died. Alcohal withdrawal is serious business.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I Finally Love My Life!!!

Welcome Supportive - glad you're here. Stay awhile, kick up your feet and read.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hi supportive, welcome! be sure to take care of yourself at this time also.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hi supportive and welcome....

this is my experience only.....my xh would detox at home and i was totally naive about what to expect. now, keep in mind that he has detoxed at home probably hundreds of times. the first few times, it was hell for me. i put him to bed, carried him liquids and soups, laid beside him at times, and did everything but wind his butt and powder his watch.

i later learned how very dangerous this was and what a huge risk he was putting himself in.....and of course this was another very selfish, self-centered action on his part of laying his crisis at my feet, knowing i would just worry myself sick with it all. i learned to look at the situation and think.....would i do this to my family????? nope....i wouldn't want them to feel responsible for me going through a detox, i would want to be in the hands of professionals.

his doc told me he could have very well died during these detoxes. so after the first few times, and a lot of al-anon under my belt, i would call 911 when he would detox and get to the point of medical emergency.

i learned to see it for the manipulative, selfish action that it was. if he had been truly sincere and ready to accept his treatment plan, he wouldn't have put himself at such danger and wouldn't have used these attempts (usually as a last resort after really f-ing up) as a calculated move to gain sympathy and support.

this was how it was in my life, with my xh.