View Single Post
Old 06-30-2007, 05:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
raerae6

Originally Posted by liesagain View Post
dad has custody.......and I'm his wife so when he went to treatment he gave me temporary custody in his absence.............

the child is 11..........has been with us for 1 1/2 years full time and split for 5 years before that

do they treat him well? yes and no...........
yes they love him but they lied to him for years told him they were his parents.....dad was away due to drugs.........

during the custody dispute and after....they do stuff like make him feel guilty for wanting to be with dad.............say negative things to and in fronnt of him.......and most recently say little things to make him feel bad......these are things he tells me about........but he loves them I do know that.......its kinda like they never thought he'd attach to dad....that hed be miserable and want to be with them and when he didnt they seem resentful...........

deep down I know that they will have some negative impact...........on him regarding dad.........
It sounds like the extended family kind of messed with the poor kid's head. I suppose maybe they didn't mean to, maybe they were trying to spare him the pain of getting close to the dad and having dad disappear...

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. i think that maybe since you have temporary custody for now, and since this new relapse has just happened, you have a lot on your plate to think about.

I guess I would suggest that you don't have to make a decision right now as far as the child goes. Give yourself some time to think about it and feel out the situation.

Has the child ever had any counseling? It sounds like maybe after being lied to about who his parents are and such he could really use some.

You are in a tough situation, I imagine this is very hard on you.

hugs, Lisa