Thread: Sponser?
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 08:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Surlyredhead
Life is Grand

A Sponsor/Sponsee relationship is a special thing. Sometimes we are lucky and find the "one or two" right away, sometimes it take a while. The person who offered to be your temporary sponsor was probably trying to help you stay sober until you found the "one". Who knows, he may just turn out to be him!!! Sometimes, our sponsors find us!! My best friend to this day was working in the treatment center I was in, we became friends there and when I stayed on as a trainee, our friendship grew into a mutual respect and trust. I found out that there was another person out there who could have been my twin...I thought some of the disgusting things that happened to me and that I did were "unique" boy, was I wrong. One day, about two years after we became friends, I said, "You know that you are my sponsor, don't you?" The replay was a casual "Yeah, I kind figured that"
When we met, it seemed like my sponsor had so much clean time, A year and a half, I was in awe,I thought...some day, I am going to have that. Today, I have a little over 13 years sober, my sponsor will have 15 years in August....somehow, the gap doesn't seem so big.

Take your time finding the right person, or two, you are allowed to have more than one!! Until then, lean on anyone close, that is what the program is all about, admitting we have a problem, give it over, be aware of our mistakes, make amends, and spread the word to others like us. Good luck...

Cathy