View Single Post
Old 10-09-2003, 10:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
kate01
Paused

Rose,

I strongly recommend Al-Anon instead. It helps you stop placing too much focus on HIM, on what might happen to HIM, how this might affect HIM. If anything, it sounds like you're already way tuned in too much to possible effects on HIM. In Al-Anon, you're encouraged to start thinking about what is best for YOU (and the rest of your family). It helps keep you in balance.

Sounds like you are leaning toward a separation as the best thing right now for YOU. This isn't selfish. It's called survival.
I personally don't think his opinion about it would hold any weight, since he is the one with the addiction. If he were thinking clearly, this wouldn't be happening in the first place.

You said, "I know that I want more peace in my life and I don't know that I would have that even if he gets sober."
The ultimate goal, at least for me, is to have peace, WHETHER OR NOT HE EVER GETS SOBER.

You also said, "Asking him to leave is hard because I know that will be a hardship for him."
You are already suffering hardship at the hands of someone else's addiction. Hopefully, you will begin to keep the focus on YOU. Also, have you read the materials on "Enabling?"

Sorry to hear about your pulled muscle. I hope it relaxes. Don't forget to relax your mind also today, maybe some meditation or a little nap! Serenity can be found every day in just a few moments of deep relaxation that you yourself create. Take deep breaths inhaling into your stomach, and your body and mind will relax.

Hugs,
kate