View Single Post
Old 06-09-2007, 01:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
BigSis
On a tear

I believe the addiction to alcohol has a physical base... MOST of us experiment with using it, only some of us cannot stop.

My family is nearly 100% alcoholic... the only one working a program, is me. The model I grew up with is abstinance and "dry drunk" syndrome. The older, sober alcoholics in my family are not what I would term as "spiritually happy", but most are living a pretty good life.

My mom is the closest example for me. She has gotten from LIFE, many of the lessons the rest of us get in program. She has learned not to be SO selfish and self-centered... she has become kinder an gentler as she as matured.

Her father (now deceased) was a 38 year AA member (though I never heard his story, nor heard much program when he visited us... mostly because he was focused on the visits, I think). Mom's personality is much, much, MUCH like his. At her age, 70, she is about as serene as I remember Poppy was.

I still remember Poppy slamming crap around in the kitchen because something wasn't going his way. Mom slams stuff around in the kitchen when things don't go her way. They both yell at cars on the freeway.

Could be signs of selfishness... or impatience... or humaness.

I think program is saving my life... in many, many ways. I believe 12-step is making me a better, kinder easier person to love. But I do not believe that it is the only way to either sobriety or happiness. It is just one of the ways.

The underlying condition? I don't know. If it is there, then I believe it is inherited... a personality traits....or group of traits... that are similar among us and coexist with the tendency to become addicted.

But I don't think it matters... I think those same traits... or group of traits... also exist in some who do not have a tendency to become addicted.

We have alcohol, and the wreckage of the use of it, that we can add to our inherited personality traits. Those who didn't get addicted, perhaps only have their personalities to deal with and therefore more resources to dedicate to being "better".

Just my thoughts....