View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 08:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
GingerM

Hi Cruelgirl,

Looks like you've got plenty of reading for the next few days already if you follow Mike's suggestions

I wanted to welcome you to the board, and offer the single most valuable 'catchphrase' I've gotten from this board. It is valuable not only in my own dealings with my alcoholic parents, but also with other non-alcoholic but still dysfunctional in their own ways people in my life: I present you with "The Three C's" - You didn't cause it, you can't control it, and you can't cure it.

Your father is old enough to be responsible for his own actions. It is not your job as his child to be responsible for him. You didn't cause him to drink, you can't control his drinking, and you can't cure his drinking. The only person who can do that for him is him.

Accepting that is much more difficult than saying it, but if you say it to yourself over and over again, like bad commercials, you will begin to accept and believe it. Say it as often as you need to.

And as Mike offered, come ask questions, vent, seek advice, find out how other people handled it etc. This board is full of people with lots of experience being adult children of alcholics - I've been one since the age of 18, prior to that, I was just a child of alcoholics.

I've been in and out of therapy since I was 20, and I must say that this board has done me a world of good on top of any therapy. Finding other people who understand where I was coming from, and who could give me a few hints as to how to deal with various situations was immensely helpful.

I hope it is helpful in your search for peace as well.