View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 07:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
DesertEyes

Hello cruelgirl, and welcome to this wonderful website.

I noticed that you also posted to the Friends and Family forums, so it looks to me like you're doing just fine understanding how forums work

In addition to the fine suggestions you received in the Friends and Family forum I will add all the "sticky" posts at the top of this forum. There is a lot of great information there.

My Dad and Mom were both alcoholics, and I also was forced into the "responsible" role. I see it as being the only adult in the family. One of the symptoms of a "toxic family" is that us kids are forced into taking on adult roles. Unfortunately, children don't have the level of development to be able to do that, and so we wind up with confused emotions and messed up lives.

Originally Posted by cruelgirl View Post
...dont think that i should have to do that. ...
Makes perfect sense to me. At 56 your Dad has been an adult for quite some time. He really should be responsible for his own health.

Originally Posted by cruelgirl View Post
...On the other hand, feel like it will be my fault if I don't do something now! Does anyone have any advice?
There are a number of things you can do to support him in his own efforts to find recovery. The first is to educate yourself about the disease of alcoholism. Reading the "sticky" posts here and in the Friends and Family forum will get you started on that. Next you look up the local office of al-anon in your part of the world and you check out a few meetings. They have a _ton_ of wonderful books and pamphlets that I have found to be a huge help.

That will keep you busy for a couple weeks At the end of which you will have a much better idea of what your options are and which you may want to explore in greater detail.

While you're doing all of that please toss out any questions that come up. It's a _lot_ of material and there are a lot of strange words that don't make sense at first.

Welcome again, I'm glad you decided to join us.

Mike