View Single Post
Old 06-05-2007, 08:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cruelgirl

Question I'm new to this...

Hi all,

I'm new to this so not really sure how it all works. My dad is an alcoholic at the age of 56, and apparently has been for my entire life. As of about 2 years ago, I'm finally realizing it. A couple of major events have occurred which brought me to my senses. He comes from a very religious family and therefore at dinners with them he always drank tea, or coke etc. But at home, I can remember him drinking a couple of beers every single night; used to send me for them from the refrigerator as a matter of fact. He has a horrible temper and was very abusive towards my older brother and myself. After the latest scare, I thought surely it was enough to make him realize that he needs help. I have tried to remain positive about it and not just assume that he was drinking again, but as of 2 nights ago, its clear that he has not stopped. Unfortunately, I feel like its my responsibility to correct him, or push him to correct himself. Of my other two siblings, I have always been considered the responsible one. I do not live close enough to him to check in all the time and dont think that i should have to do that. I feel like a babysitter, so probably a good thing that I dont live that close. On the other hand, feel like it will be my fault if I don't do something now! Does anyone have any advice?