View Single Post
Old 10-03-2003, 11:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
MissyBelle

This is what I thought about.

When my husband was actively using we had one child who was about 3 years old. I very much wanted a second child. I did NOT expect that child to "sway him to sobriety". We were financially secure and certainly not children (chronologically anyway!). We were both from stable non-addicted families and we did not come into this relationship with a lot of previous baggage. Our marriage, minus the addiction, had been solid for more than 10 years. He was not abusive in any manner, using or straight.

I felt that if he did not find the light at the end of the tunnel I was emotionally and financially capable of raising this child independently. I also knew that were I to wait for a cure for this disease I would wait a lifetime and still not have the second child that we both desired.

We made the decision to go for the baby we both wanted. Fortunately he found sobriety when our son was about 10 months old and has, thus far, 16 months later, not relapsed. I am fortunate I know, but I do not think my decision would have been different had this not occured. I love my husband and I wanted his children. The struggle to maintain sobriety is a lifelong one---as is parenthood.

Thjis was just my way of thinking and should not be construed as the right choice for anyone but our family.