View Single Post
Old 06-03-2007, 08:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
serina

Liz, I understand that too. I had gotten close with my IOP group and it was sad to go our seperate ways. What I SHOULD have done was to then jump right into AA and recovery and find the same network and sense of community. Go to meetings everyday, get a sponsor, work the steps whole heartedly, do service work, chair a meeting, help clean up or make coffee, get a home group and let others get to know you. make sure you share so they will get to know you. go early to the meeting and talk to others and stay after and talk or go for coffee or something.

I made the mistake of NOT doing the above things after IOP. I gave AA a half-hearted if that attempt and now 8 years later and a mess of things that have happended since then and a lot of pain....I haven't been drinking the whole time but I have been depressed, making destructive decisions, isolating, hiding, and definately in denial. so I would have saved myself a lot of trouble had I got involved right away. If you want to chat just PM me. I'd be glad to talk some more. I hope this helps. I've just started back to AA myself (3 meetings) and I'm starting fresh. I'm going to give it my best this time.