Notices

Outpatient Rehab is OVER -

Old 06-01-2007, 06:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Outpatient Rehab is OVER -

I finished my outpatient rehab last night . . .

It was emotional, and in some ways, very sad as I will miss the group tremendously. It was a large time commitment as it was three nights a week for 2.5 hours plus 2 hours travel time. What to do with all that extra time??!?

I've made plans to start working steps with my sponsor, identified additional AA meetings to go to, and have lots and lots of reading to do, but . . it still feels like something will be missing.

First - I never thought I would enroll myself in rehab. Second - I never thought I would be apprehensive that it was over.

I've heard said in some AA meeting about people going to the "$30K spin dry" - and that was not the case at all (outpatient was much cheaper!!). I gave and received so much, I learned so much, I grew and gained understanding. For me, the experience was invaluable and I know it will go a long way to keeping me sober today.

I'm on to the next phase . . .

TinLizzy
Old 06-01-2007, 06:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats !!!! Sounds like you've built yourself a good foundation.

I've made plans to start working steps with my sponsor, identified additional AA meetings to go to, and have lots and lots of reading to do, but . . it still feels like something will be missing.
Good. So many people think they're done when they get out of IOP. I never made it, I thought de-tox was all I needed.

Steps, meetings, sponsor.....yup, I've done all that. And it works !!!!

Good luck, I'll see you on the road to happy destiny.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You are on a fantastic adventure!

Old 06-02-2007, 12:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

WAY TO GO !!!!!

I didn't do the detox stuff that way ... but I hear a lot about the anxiety in the rooms, if it helps you to know that.

*hug*
Old 06-02-2007, 04:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i'm glad you posted this, tin - my daughter is doing intensive outpatient program now, while living in a halfway and getting back to work/activities after her inpatient stay. she says it is really valuable also.

congrats on completing this part of your process, and making it into such a positive opportunity. and your plan sounds great!

blessings, k
Old 06-02-2007, 05:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats Liz

YOU GO, GIRL !!

D
Old 06-02-2007, 08:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I go through this grieving process every time I finish something. Like today: Yesterday, I potted the last of my outside flowers. Today, I'm a little down that I'm not still in that mode. I have to remind myself that I completed the task. I go through it when every semester ends. I wait around for my final grades, then I mourn. I miss this group of students or that professor.

What am I missing?

Oh, yeah....I'm finally finishing things.

I don't know about you, but when I was "out there," I left a lot of projects and tasks in my dust, half finished, excuses made why this didn't work out or that didn't work out (usually because I got lazy, got drunk, got high, or didn't like that it wasn't going my way.)

Now, I see things through. It takes a lot of practice reminding myself that I've accomplished. I'd much rather add it to my list of losses. It's an old habit.

So...you suddenly have time for new opportunities in your life! Good for you!

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 06-03-2007, 04:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sober time and commitment!

I thank God everyday that I went to (inpatient) Rehab. I like you never thought I'd miss it so badly. It took a while to get back in to the swing of things, but as others said ... work the program you'll be grateful everyday that you did.

Good luck!!
Old 06-03-2007, 08:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Liz, I understand that too. I had gotten close with my IOP group and it was sad to go our seperate ways. What I SHOULD have done was to then jump right into AA and recovery and find the same network and sense of community. Go to meetings everyday, get a sponsor, work the steps whole heartedly, do service work, chair a meeting, help clean up or make coffee, get a home group and let others get to know you. make sure you share so they will get to know you. go early to the meeting and talk to others and stay after and talk or go for coffee or something.

I made the mistake of NOT doing the above things after IOP. I gave AA a half-hearted if that attempt and now 8 years later and a mess of things that have happended since then and a lot of pain....I haven't been drinking the whole time but I have been depressed, making destructive decisions, isolating, hiding, and definately in denial. so I would have saved myself a lot of trouble had I got involved right away. If you want to chat just PM me. I'd be glad to talk some more. I hope this helps. I've just started back to AA myself (3 meetings) and I'm starting fresh. I'm going to give it my best this time.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

wow

great job,keep at it
Old 06-04-2007, 03:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I remember when you were talking about beginning, how nervous you were and stuff. I'm so glad to see that you've gotten through it and are doing so well, keep it up
Old 06-04-2007, 03:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I don't think you will be leaving anything behind, but instead taking a wonderful experience ahead with you as you continue your journey.

The success of any recovery program is relative to the willingness of the person seeking help, and it sounds to me like you have the willingness it takes to plan further actions that will help you even more.

Congratulations and best wishes as you continue your new journey of living a healthy life.

Hugs
Old 06-04-2007, 03:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hope3

You are doing great tinlizzy, I'm glad you are

feeling more confident in your recovery,,,hope3
Old 06-04-2007, 04:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Tinlizzy perfectly normal feelings, it really sounds like you have your act together and a GREAT plan as well.

My last day of detox was emotional as well, great people, one gal I know for a fact went right back out there within a week after getting out, I don't think she was really ready to stay sober, she didn't even go to a single meeting, I work in the same building with her, saw her every day for a week, then she just dissappeared, I have not seen her in over 8 months.

When I left detox I was scared to death I was going to not even make it home without drinking, but I was committed to staying sober and I did as they told me, I went to AA that very evening and got a temporary sponsor.

Tinlizzy you will be fine, you have an excelellent plan, you will develop a whole new network and I bet some of those folks in your rehab will show up at meetings as well.

Congrats on the sober time, it just keeps getting better.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Hey Lizzy, Realize that the goal of most Outpatient programs is to get the person into further long-term care, as in AA. The pros know that AA works.

So, you are actually way out ahead!

I went through I.O.P. (Intensive Outpatient Therepy) 3 times and I am still in touch with just three people I met there, I see them in AA meetings. The others?, who knows, I just hope they are OK.

It was not until the 3rd time that I got a sponsor, joined a group and got active.

So now I am between 6 and 7 months and life is good!

Sugah,
Loved your post, I just got finished planting roses in my yard. Wanted to do it for years but now I can, I did, and it's done! I never finished things either but now I do!

Take care all of you,

Ted
Old 06-04-2007, 07:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Originally Posted by GrouchotheCat
I just got finished planting roses in my yard. Wanted to do it for years but now I can, I did, and it's done!
I have cultivated roses, Ted. Trust me. Roses are never done

You now have a daily reprieve contingent upon your attentiveness to pruning, feeding & deadheading!

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 06-04-2007, 08:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Thanks so much!

You got me laughing out loud!

My Grandfather raised roses, the really beautiful old tea roses. He tended to them every day. I vividly remember how he would carefully pick the japanese beetels off and drop em in a jar of kerosene! Facinating for a young boy!

Anyhow, I always wanted to raise plants, but as a active alcoholic I never had the patience to take good care of a garden. Now that I am sober I have the patience to take care of my plants. I check them every day and I am quite proud of myself.

If I plant them deep, and feed and water them well they will grow.

(steps 1, 2, and 3)

If I prune away the dead wood and old blooms I will clear the way for new growth.

(steps 4,5,6,7,8,and 9)

If I check them for pests every day, and take care of them then and there, I will keep them healthy and strong.

(10)

When I gaze on the beautiful flowers It will bring me serenety and peace.

(11)

If I am successul I can bring some joy and hope to those who see the flowers as they pass by.

(12)
Old 06-04-2007, 04:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Awesome analogy, ted....I'll remember it as I'm tending my garden. No roses, though -- the wind is not kind to them here on the mountain.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 06-05-2007, 03:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Hope3

Good morning Tnlizzy, another day to spread

our wings and see what seeds we can sow.

hope3