View Single Post
Old 10-03-2003, 12:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
queenofca
Paused

When I was younger I used to drink a lot, party with friends you know the whole thing. Within that last few years I haven't enjoyed it as much. I can't hold it as well as I used to, and I feel like its a waste of money. Really I'd rather take the money from a huge bar tab and travel, or buy something tangible.

When my husband and I first got together we would drink with friends or go to bars and it was fine. But somewhere along the line it became not okay. It was when I realized that he didn't have the power within himself to stop drinking. He would close the bar, he would just drink a ton. He didn't drink all the time, but when he did....

It became so that I didn't want to go out and drink with him, but did because I'd feel worried and anxious because he was drinking and I would want to stay sober so there were no arguements about who was going to drive home.

When he quit the first time I didn't drink in support. Even though he doesn't want people to change their behavior to be around him, I just felt like it was the right thing to do, plus I didn't feel like I was missing anything.

When he started drinking again, we went out and it was the same thing, me worrying about him getting home safely and such.

Recently he has quit again. The week after he quit I went on a trip with some friends and some people noticed I wasn't drinknig and they were ribbing me for it. I couldnt really say well you see my husband is an A so I'm not drinking. i could have, but it didn't feel right, and I didnt want to so I just kind of blew it off.

It is hard because you never really realize until you quit or someone you love quits, just how much every social gathering has to revolve around alcohol. It makes me sick! Why can't people do something else? Example my AH is on a trip for work this week, and where does he end up at each place hes been to? a bar. Great place for a newly sober person to be. I know its his choice, he says hes fine. He just drinks NA beer and smokes a lot of cigs. Gee great recovery program. Sigh....

Ah, I digress. Thanks for letting me insert my opinon