View Single Post
Old 05-22-2007, 05:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Slowbriety
New things have come to light

The big Book, which is our basic text, says that we have to make amends if we are going to truly over come alcohol. In doing amends, least with me, its not about saying sorry for what i did, its trying to make right what was wrong. i said i was sorry over and over again and still doing those "boneheaded" things. When making amends i tell the person what im doing why im doing it and if i can do anything to set right what i did in the past. The whole thing about making amends isnt for the other person, its for us. Not everything i did while in active addiction was due to my alcohol intake, but, when in active addiction, my mind was so jacked up because of the alcohol it all went back to it. I, just like many other people, suffer from a deisease that centers in our mind. Until i can fully let go and find a higher power to change me then i will continue to act out in those self distructive ways. it might not seem like a big deal to you but, doing the things that most of us have done, going back to those people and making the amends, well, it just takes balls. Recovery, for me, is all about owning up to my stuff and not running away like i use to.