View Single Post
Old 05-22-2007, 09:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
care4uNJ

Question regard 'amends'

Hi All:

I'm not entirely sure I understand the intent of the 'amends' step (#?). Anyway, I got this call last night from a guy that I used to date at least 18 months ago. We only went out for a few months. He called to make his amends. Said something like when we were dating, he made extremely bad decisions based on his drinking and that he was sorry for some of those decisions.

I'm going to be honest with you all here. His drinking was never really an issue with me because I never had much vested in him if you know what I mean. We dated, but nothing serious. I've dated a lot of guys in my time and I know a player when I see one. Alcohol or not the guy was a jerk! So... just because now he is in a recovering program, which by all means is a very positive thing, doesn't mean that you can blame every stupid boneheaded move you ever made on alcohol, right??

I graciously accepted his apology and wished him well. I assumed that in his mind, he truly believes that he was jerk because of the alcohol. If he only knew ......

I'm just curious what amends is intented to accomplish in one's recovery. Jo