View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007, 09:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
hope3
Hope3

Red face

Originally Posted by denny57 View Post
Not when I'm the only one helping.

It's not a myth that each of us has to stick to our own recovery. I think the rest of your post actually proves that. "Once 'I' really committed" and "I gave the books I was reading to SO "says it all to me. I always made it clear to AH that the day he committed to his own recovery I was there to support him 100%. But no marriage vow or commitment comes with the obligation to devote my life to convincing someone else to get help for their addiction. I am entitled to a life of my choosing. If I make a conscious choice to devote it to someone else's addiction, so be it. But if I am unhappy with the status quo, I have learned only I have the power to change myself.
OH, I agree with you 100% denny57, I'm talking about when both are commited to there own recovery, not just one, as was your case...sadly, some will never find it in themselves to get help....I know from reading what you went through, and tried, and commend you on knowing the difference....and that you are doing so well..

But initially I never would have got help without my s/o.., but when I did committ truly, there is an us as well.

That's my feelings on this, not that it's up to someone to go beyond what is right for them to get thier S/O into recovery...

Bless you denny57, hope3