View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007, 06:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
leviathon

Anger and resentments, etc.

Hi All, I've been dealing with a lot of anger and resentment issues lately, as well as the usual stress, anxiety, pressure, etc. As a result of all of that, I have been having some meaningful discussions with someone that is particularly wise and during our discussions, he suggested I posted this thread, so here goes... the first post will be our most recent discussion on how he dealt with anger.

>> ... Can I ask, did you grow up with a lot of unexpressed anger? I am sensing that there are a lot of parallels between your story and my own.
Yup. As you spend more time in recovery you'll find that most of us guys have the same _feelings_, even though the details of our history are different.

>> ... What did you do to learn to express anger and resentment in a safe fashion?

Excercise, meetings, therapy. In that order. One of my early mentors was a world class body-builder. He encouraged me to exercise regularly, something which I still do today. Meetings gave me a safe place to vent and thus reduce the "pressure" before it built up. Therapy helped me understand the mechanisms behind my feelings, and with that understanding I was able to better avoid situations that "triggered" me.

So, here's my invitation to you all, how are you all dealing with your issues?

Just for the record, here was my response to the above:

Thanks so much NAME. Very helpful stuff.

I'd be glad to post in main forum... ACOA and Alcoholism... think it applies to both.

I guess part of me has been trying to do this without going to meetings and without going to therapy. I just want so bad to be normal. I've also been to therapy and to meetings and I got fed up with the procees a while back. I have also started working out again. I used to be a provincial class bodybuilder and I know a lot of what drove me to work out four to six hours a day was the stress, frustration, anger, hurt, anxiety, etc. Working out really did help, although at times I think I not only was over doing it (duh, ya think 4-6/day), but I was also using it as an escape.

I have found great strength and support here. I rely on that for my continued sobriety, along with my spouse and my relationship with God. Praying daily and it helps.

Peace Levi