Old 05-04-2007, 05:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
notpetergriffen
Learning to live again

"But rehab doesn't work" Excuse or truth?

My ABF is currently trying to get clean....again. This time, he has decided to do it all on his own. He refuses to go into another treatment center/psych hospital, or even go to meetings.

When I asked him about all this. He states that none of them have worked in the past, why would they work now...that he already knows all the programs, the tools, the steps, ect....He gets upset b/c he feels like he doesn't fit in at NA meetings, psych hospitals always give him some weird diagnosis (I will agree there) and treatment centers just really feed you and let you sleep it all off.

I know he has been to a lot of places over the years (8+ rehabs, 3 psych hospitals to be exact) And I know he has said that a lot of times at the NA meetings, that it is the easiest place to find dope. I can understand his frustration. But...can he really do it all on his own? I am trying to see if he will at least go to a therapist, which he is considering. To help get to the bottom of his pain. He actually will tell me now, "Don't let me go out, make sure there is no money around, I am having a crack attack"...

I guess I can't tell if not wanting to go to rehab is an excuse or not. Could he just be fed up with all that? I guess my whole thinking is that, it has been a few years, and he is in a different place now, maybe rehab will do more good then it did the last time. I know I can't make him go, but I just can't tell if he is pulling my chain.

Do some people just give up on the whole rehab/meetings thing and do it themselves?