View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007, 09:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LUNAGREEN

Question Is my husband an addict?

Is my husband an addict? He does not think so. He thinks he has an addictive personality and needs to be self aware. Here is a summary of his past and present.

* Before I knew him, he was addicted to cocaine.
* After he stopped doing that he became a pothead.
*He stopped everything for awhile-8 months. Then started smoking pot again.
* He met me and knew I did not like pot smoking so he said he stopped. Then he started drinking again.
* He drinks about every night (not excessively)and takes ambien.
* He had lied to me about smoking pot and apparently still did it on occasion when we were dating and since we have been married.
*He quit smoking cigarettes about 2 years ago and recently started up again. (we are separate and he says he started again b/c of stress from that and work)
* He had to take benzodiazipans for a phobia that he has and abused those by taking 9 pills a day instead of three in combination with drinking. He has stopped that.
* He took a darveset from his mother without asking and put it in his Lactaid bottle. He said he took it in case he gets a headache. I found it and flushed it down the toilet.
* He hid prescription pills that he supposedly gave back to his doctor because he was not supposed to take them anymore under the bed in a film container in a shoe box.

*He thinks his behaviors (abusing benzos, hiding pills, and he also was going to have a friend send him xanax in the mail) were situational. Back in Jan. he ended up having to go to the mental ward of the hospital because I got the stomach virus and he has this horrible phobia of it (that I was not aware of the severity until then) . He ended up drinking tons of alcohol, taping butcher knives to his hands, and having to call 911 b/c of suicidal thoughts. My mom came to visit soon after this and just told him that she did not think he was capable of being a good husband to me and some other stuff so he says this triggered the above behaviors. I am separated from him and want him to seek help for his past behaviors so they do not happen again. He is convinced that he does not have a problem since he is not abusing any medicine now. I am not sure. Any advice? Thanks, I am new to this forum.