Thread: AA Bullies
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2007, 06:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
lanie67

I have seen some bullies in AA over time. There was a man in meetings that just did not seem to like me at all, and whenever I shared, he would seem to almost mock what I had shared. I actually moved away from that town for 5 YEARS, then moved back to town and the very first meeting I saw him at he made a sarcastic remark to me. I just said "Oh hi ---" and gave him a big hug. I think it kind of caught him off guard, but to me it was just funny because I'd been gone so long and the first time I saw him he acted this way to me, proving that it hadn't just been my imagination, lol.

The only time I've ever confronted someone about their conduct to me was after being crossed talked ridiculously in the middle of a meeting. I always looked really young and at the time I was several years sober and I went up to the guy afterward and told him how I felt about his behavior and he apologized, sincerely. After that I was better able to let things go. If someone asks me if I have a sponsor and what step I'm on, if I didn't care to answer I would just say "you first" and then find out who their sponsor is and what step they are working on.

I have to say though, having just gotten out of a mess, even the worst folks in the rooms, including xxx that I referred to above, I know they loved me and they wanted me to stay sober and continue to heal. Even if they didn't like my personality, we shared that common bond. I've just been through a painful, awful mess with people assassinating my character, in a non-recovery setting, and lying and back-stabbing and all of that, and nothing I've ever encountered in AA comes close to that. There may be petty resentments but nothing that comes close to the viciousness and vindictiveness I've just experienced. And I have to say that if I ever encountered that somewhere in AA I would remove myself from that particular group and find a healthier one.

I can also echo everything that Chip said. When I made my resentment list for my first fourth step I was really surprised to see written beside so many names on there, "tried to make me look stupid". It was embarassing how many people I had serious resentment against just for that, or my perception that they were mocking me. Part of it has to do with my being an aspie and easily tricked and fooled, and part has to do with my emotionally abusive background, but my speakers are turned way up to that kind of thing from other people, whether it is intended or not.