Thread: Sobriety First
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2007, 05:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Pilgrim

Sobriety First

I like metaphors. I am a visual person.

When we melt our hearts, there is always a puddle. We ask for people to help us stay safe when this happens. Otherwise, unthinking or uncaring people might stand in the puddle and make it worse or maybe they stand in the puddle and splash around on purpose. That's icky.

We are vulnerable when we melt.

But there is hope.

We were actually more vulnerable as a block of ice. We looked solid and strong. We were hard enough to cope with life's pain. But the loneliness of being too hard to penetrate made us drink and the drink drove us mad, made us sick and stopped helping in the end. We had to melt or die.

We were told to ask for help then. We reached out. That meant we had to thaw that first little piece of ice. What a scary thing to do. Who should we trust to be in the room when there is a puddle on the floor? We might need to ask unthinking lovers or family members to leave the room.

At his time, we haven't organised a container yet to catch to drips. We were caught by surprise like when our waters broke in childbirth. Woops too many metaphors even for this muddled mind.

If someone offers a container, we accept gratefully. It's an emergency. We are melting. It's not safe to have our hearts on the floor. We don't have time to check to see if the container is clean. There are lots of clean containers at SR. We start to melt because we feel we have some support with the thawing process.

We need a container so that when we want to water something later, we can.

To stay safe we feel that we just have to make sure every drip goes into the container and not onto the floor. Melting too fast causes spills that people can stand in by accident or jump in on purpose. We have to make sure the container is not dirty.

I have a wee mess. I put some of my thawed ice in a dirty cup. How do I clean that water now? I have thrown the cup away and now I have a dirty little puddle on the floor. I could mop it all up quickly and refreeze everything but then I would have a frozen heart with icky stuff in it.

So no backing out here. I will ask for help again.

I need to wait for the dirt in the water to settle and then I need your careful help to mop up the puddle one drip at a time and put it back into the container. It will be painstaking and we will need to be meticulous so that I don't lose any drops. It will be like trying to find someone's contact lense in a swimming pool.

Anyone up for the job? Would someone like to help? You will need a clean tiny sponge.