View Single Post
Old 04-25-2007, 12:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mhubb19

Question Trust while dating someone in recovery

My girlfriend is an alcoholic, I am not. I have been trying lately to understand the disease as best I can for sake of our relationship and in hopes of dealing with my own parent's recovery from alcoholism.

My girlfriend and I have been together for a little over four months and it seems apparent to me that she is no longer interested in our relationship.

Though she has not come out and said so, I can't help but wonder if she is seeing someone else on the side. My conversations with her our short in increasingly infrequent. She has recently expressed to me she wants a break to concentrate on her sobriety and her studies.

However, she has denied wanting to just end the relationship entirely, her preference is to discuss options when she returns home in two weeks.

We are both college students living on opposite sides of the state.

She has maintained sobriety for a year and a half and actively attends three AA's a week. Staying sober is the most important thing in her life.

I have found that she has often portrayed a "secret" lifestyle, when hanging with her friends at college and at home. However, when she is around me, she is someone else entirely. This causes me to worry more than anything, whether I really know her at all.

She expresses to me that this is the most normal relationship she has ever had and that I make her very happy.

I do believe the normal part, but I am increasingly curious if I am the only one who is making her happy.

Most likely this relationship is headed for the dump, but I remain optomistic for I care about her deeply.

Can anyone with experience in this subject help clear my head. Any feedback or advice would be great.

Thanks,

M