View Single Post
Old 04-24-2007, 02:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Astro
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Zoey View Post
Sorry, but in my opinion relationships are difficult. The recoverying alcoholic is fragile and may take years to get a good hold on dealing with life on life's terms. Also they can relapse as you know.

You are already walking on eggshells due to your knowledge, if possible I would let this relationship go.

Sometimes recovery is forever full time for some.
Well said Zoey, thanks for sharing that.

Welcome mhubb, glad you're joining us here.

Alcoholics have so much to process in recovery, even with two years of sobriety I feel like I'm just starting the scratch the surface on dealing with my emotions.

I'm not going to advise you to run in the other direction or say that a relationship definitely won't work, I'll just suggest that you be understanding and let her lead the relationship a little. If she doesn't want it, you can't force it. Al-Anon could be a tremendous help to you in understanding her disease. I attend Al-Anon meetings on occassion in addition to my nightly AA meetings, and I've never left one without a feeling of peace and understanding.

And no, you won't make her drink. If she's as serious about her recovery as you've indicated, she knows that she's the only one responsible for her sobriety.

Best wishes to the both of you.

Scott