View Single Post
Old 04-24-2007, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mhubb19

Question Dating someone in recovery

I am new to this forum and actually found it by surfing the web for information regarding dating someone in recovery. I am the son of an alcoholic mother and father yet do not have the disease myself. Both of my parents are in recovery and have been sober going on a couple years now. I am 24 and in college living with buddies in an apartment.
I started dating a young lady who goes to school on the other side of the state (about 5 hours away). She is twenty years old and is an alcoholic that has maintained sobriety for a year and a half. Her sobriety is the most important thing in her life and she will not compromise herself or whats best for herself for anyone. We have been togother for four months and decided to take a break for a couple of weeks. She has had a lot of demands placed on her recently and been dealing with a few painful anniverseries. Not to mention the fact its the end of her semester.
I am too much for her to deal with on top of everything else so she needed time.
I care for this woman a lot and things are amazing when we are together and not stressed about other things. I do not want to lose her. But I could not live with the fact that I drove her to drink again, it is the last thing I want to do. Again, I will mention that I somewhat understand how close to death she always is.

Can someone give me some advice?