Old 09-19-2003, 06:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
journeygal
believer

Hi Sasha,

No one is here to flame you. I can only give you my impression of life here at SR.

A lot of people seek out forums like this b/c they're looking for ways to stop their A's from drinking or using and they need to be able to talk about what's going on in their lives with people who understand what it's like. It is a huge relief to be able to unload with people who are objective and who you can pretty much be honest with.

Sometimes it gives some people the courage to walk away from their A's and we never hear from them again. Some people struggle for a long time and never seem to make any progress. They just remain bitter, angry, and frustrated. But some people, after being here for a while, finally realize the problem isn't just with their A's, but with themselves as well. And they start to make tremendous progress in their recovery and in their lives.

Recovery isn't easy for any of us, and we all struggle with slips and relapses. But the main purpose of this board is to provide support, even for the bitter and frustrated among us. I think the overall tone is one of hope, b/c for those who keep coming back and eventually start making real changes in their life and within themselves, it's a wonderful thing to witness and be a part of.

And we do encourage people to share the good stuff, not just the bad.

Hugs,
JG