View Single Post
Old 04-03-2007, 04:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
outonalimb

(((((Cats))))))

I'm just curious...in what ways does he say you are too independent?

I am fiercely independent. I always have been. I don't like having to ask anyone for help. I wasn't looking for someone to take care of me when I met exah...I was just looking for someone to share my life with.

Somehow, I ended up being the caretaker in the relationship. The burden of trying to 'help' my exah led to codependency and it nearly destroyed my spirit.

After everything I've been thru...My independent spirit has grown stronger and I wouldn't change a thing about it. I, for one, cannot imagine having to rely on someone for my financial needs and stability.

Now...if someone were to come along who enhanced my life, that would be great but I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER co-mingle my finances with someone else. I won't ever purchase a home that requires two of our salaries to pay the mortgage or incur any other type of debt that I cannot handle on my own. It just aint gonna happen. And if the next man I meet has a problem with this, than I say its HIS problem and not mine. Maybe I'm wrong about this...but I don't think so. I think an independent spirit will insure my survival (and a stable life for my son too).

I know I've focused mainly on the financial aspects of things. Learning to trust someone emotionally is going to take a very, very long time. Thats sad, really...but after everything I've been thru, I think its just plain survival instinct.

Interesting topic...thanks for bringing it up!!