View Single Post
Old 03-23-2007, 03:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
care4uNJ

Ed: Thanks for your insights and much needed suggestions! I've come to the conclusion that alcoholism is such a widely misunderstood disease. I so agree that unless they want to live different lives it really does matter how many rehabs and/or AA meetings one attends sobriety just won't happen. I'm hoping that he searches and finds the 'real cause' and that it is treated this time ;-)

You've made my day!! Not only because of your advise, but you give me (us) hope that sobriety isn't an impossible dream. Sure, it doesn't come easy, but its definitely obtainable!!!

And... HolyQow .... about your question. Most companies (at least the mid to large ones) have policies on rehab as part of their EAP programs. I've never heard of a company firing someone due to rehab. They normally grant leaves of absence and more times than not it is a paid leave. My ABF happens to be an officer with his company so I'm sure the rules are quite different for senior leaders versus us regular working folks, so I won't go by him. 120 days in rehab is rather excessive and most companies would find that hardcore to keep employees.

Also, check with your medical plan because I believe that most of them cover at least part of rehab. The 90 day program is extremely expensive -- something like $28K, which insurance only pays a mere fraction of.

Hope that helps! JO