View Single Post
Old 03-10-2007, 09:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Lost Sailor

Congratulations on your sobriety and having the courage and wherewithal to tackle your addiction! You're on your way! And don't say "hopefully"...you will!

I also went to rehab for a month, and although I didn't do outpatient or go to long-term afterwards, I had/have friends that did. They tell me (and I FULLY believe them) it looked like a long road ahead, but in retrospect, it was the best thing they could have done. Some of the stories are incredible.

I remember what a roller coaster ride it was emotionally and psychologically after I left rehab. I didn't know what to do; I felt like I had been paroled and was re-entering society, and leaving a big part of me behind. I guess because I was. But eventually everything leveled off, and with the help of AA and vigilance and goals and a strong commitment, everything started to become more and more "normal" and I learned how to deal and each day became brighter and brighter. The whole experience was a renaissance for me and the fear, confusion and weirdness of being sober ALL the time for the first time in forever started to become normal to me, and having alcohol in my life was the strange idea.

I also went straight to a meeting the first chance I could after getting out-that night. Keep going. And going. I know that was when I was most vulnerable, and the idea of having a sober life forever was cemented into my head by going to meetings and staying focused. It was also the time I made changes-left my old playgrounds behind and removed all people places and things from my life that were adversarial.

Anyway..I tend to ramble...but I hope you're proud that you've taken such such a determined step towards a better life. Congratulations again!