Thread: alone in Tejas
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 08:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kellye C

Well, the only thing I can do is tell you how it happened for me. I had a heck of a time admitting to MYSELF I had a problem. I kept trying to get my **** together but wanted to find a way to drink successfully. I wouldn't give up on that idea, I just hadn't found the right way to drink. So.... I tried cutting back, switching what I drank (whiskey to wine to beer), moderating the amount, rationing (buying a bigger bottle to "last the weekend" only to wake up Sunday morning and finding out I had "discovered" where I hid it from myself while in a blackout). I got sicker and sicker and my body started to shut down on me. At this point I got scared but still not scared enough. In 2004 my mom got in my face after a 3 day holiday which I spent in a blackout or passed out and she let me have it. She told me what my drinking was doing to me, to my kids, to her. My daughter had already moved back to her dad's because of the drinking and my son basically hated me and couldn't understand why I didn't care about me or them.

I agreed to go to AA that night. We went to a group in Northshore (East Houston) where it happened to be ladies night. I had been to meetings a couple times before but felt like I didn't really belong there, I wasn't THAT bad but this time was different. I WAS that bad, I had reached the point where I was taking maintenance sips out of a bottle in my purse just to keep the shakes and puking from withdrawals from setting in.

My last drink was August 7, 2004. I really didn't think I could quit when I went in there and I realize that it is a miracle that I am alive, sober and happier than I have ever been today.

There are other methods besides AA out there but I can only speak for what I use and what has worked for me so far. I suggest going to the Alcoholism board and checking it out, reading the stickies here and in that board and educating yourself. As for admitting to your hubby, in my opinion you need to worry about admitting it to YOU and coming to terms with it before admitting it to someone else. If you would like to check out an AA meeting pull up Alcoholic Anonymous on the web and do a search for meetings in Bay City. I don't know how close you are to Houston but we have an Intergroup (which you can get the number from the phonebook) and call them. Give them your zip code and they can help you locate meetings around you.

Hang in there and keep posting. It gets easier the more you do it!

Hugs,
Kellye