View Single Post
Old 03-06-2007, 08:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Debaucher

I happened to go to a really great AA meeting my first time... the people there are great. There is a really good mix of people just starting... people working the steps... and long to sober folks working the steps again and again...

The old timers make a point to welcome new folks and the atmosphere is really warm and inviting... you really get the sense that they want you to come back...

That being said... in my quest to find a sponsor I hit a bunch of different meetings at different locations... and most of them really turned me off... I didn't feel welcomed and I didn't want to go back... I know part of it was that I was expecting too much... but on the other hand early on... you realy do need to connect... so folk here are correct that perhaps they aren't the problem you are... but like I said it is important for you to find a place you feel safe... a place you feel welcomed... so that you can start working on you... and they can help you... they being the group... and they being a sponsor...

So my advice is hit a couple other meetings... you might find one that you like...

When I expressed my my angst with repect to these other meetings to my wife... she said... "you have to kiss a few frogs to find your prince..." I said ... I am not looking for a prince... and we had a good laugh...

GL and may your find what you are looking for...