Thread: Sponsors in AA?
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2007, 02:20 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Morning Glory
Administrator

The reason that any previous attempts to set up a secular or alternative forum have failed is because they turned into an AA vs Anti-AA debate forum. When I set up this forum I was pretty much on my own in the belief that it would work. I took full responsiblity and told the other moderators that I would handle it if it turned into another debate forum or flame war. We've already had numerous discussions on the Alcoholism forum for many years concerning the positive and negative aspects of AA. If that is what this forum is going to be used for it is no longer needed and just a duplicate of a forum we already have in place. I worked hard on finding the right format for this forum with many failed attempts. I could see that our growing number of secular members needed a place of their own. I started the Spirituality forum for the same reason.

This is a forum to share wisdom, inspiration, thoughts, experiences, and insights that foster personal growth, education and enrichment within our secular community.

This forum is not an alternative 12-step forum. It is open to all our members who approach their life with secular viewpoints.

yet Sober Recovery expects Atheists to love what was written?????
Soberrecovery has no control over what it written in the text anymore than you do. We can all write 5000 pages about what is written and it will still be there whether we agree or disagree with it.

You are free to share personal struggles and obstacles you face and seek solutions.

Example: I went to a meeting tonight and asked this guy to sponsor me. When I said I was an atheist and cannot use a HP he told me he couldn't sponsor me and told me I would fail without a HP. I was offended and felt isolated and alone. I need the support of a group to stay sober. How can I continue meetings when those in this group have this attitude?

Debating about the program itself and the way it is set up is not personal and we are not going to find solutions for that here. Those discussions just open up a never ending debate on opinions that are for or against a program we can't change from here. If you want to make changes to the program I would encourage you to seek out groups or internet sites that are working toward that and join in their efforts.