View Single Post
Old 01-29-2007, 04:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
socalgal

Yep I am one of those alcoholics who HATED Al-Anon. It felt very threatening. Funny thing is, I still felt this way after 12+ years of sobriety. My husband has been going to Alanon lately to deal with many issues he is facing at this time in his life. It annoyed me to no end, although I couldn't quite put my finger on why. News Flash! It isn't all about me!

Now for the huge serving of humble pie... I just finished reading Melanie Beattie's Codependent No More. Yeah, I should be going to Alanon too. I asked my husband if he could pick me up a directory. He is a good man and was careful not to openly gloat. Although ... I did detect a slight smile.

I am grateful today to see the other side of the coin. Something I was absolutely incapable of doing 12 years ago.

Alanon feels threatening to practicing alcoholics. Take it from one who's been there. The alcoholic will probably do/say just about anything to get you to stop going. Guilt is usually a good one. Just hang tough. You are doing exactly what you should be doing. Take care of yourself and don't let yourself be influenced by your A's anger or resentment or really by you A's anything!

Take care!
Kathleen