View Single Post
Old 01-28-2007, 10:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
wandering in ga

Red face don't know where to even begin...

My mother is addicted to pain medication. Once she takes what she is prescribed, she either will take my dad's or buy it elsewhere.

She is in her 50's. I'm terrified that one day she will OD. We have never discussed her problem, except to ask her why she is slurring her words when she does happen to call.

My blood father (sperm donor) died in his mid 30's of lung cancer. He was also an alcoholic. She harbors hatred for him because of the physical abuse and not being there for my brother and I.

However, now the tables have turned and she is the one who isn't there for my brother and I. My brother and I live in different states, so I guess since I'm geographically closer, I'm the one who has to confront this issue. But, it might also be the fact that my brother would either 1. never say a word and disown her or 2. totally lose in cool.

My mother can be very combative and has told my dad that he if he tells me or my brother about her problem, she would divorce him. Because I am very close to him and the only one he can talk to, I get to hear about some of the things she says and does.

I have an inherent response to automatically defend her. She is my mother and I love her so much. She provided and took care of my brother and I when the sperm donor couldn't, which was always. She has such a wonderful heart and if we needed her, truley needed her, she would be there for us in a heartbeat. I am closer to her than my brother is.

I'm 33 and tired of ignoring the elephant in the room. I am at the point to where I have to say something to her about her addiction. I don't even know where to begin. Please help me help her. She has SOO much to give and to offer her husband, children and grandchildren.

help
wandering in ga