Old 01-27-2007, 01:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
velouria

need ideas dealing with social life/people

hi all,

i stopped drinking on Jan 4th and although it is hard, i am continuing. i haven't made up my mind about whether i will ever drink or not, but for the time being, for various reasons i thoguht complete abstinence would be best.

however this is not without problems as i am having a hard time explaining it. you might think it's because i have surrounded myself with alcoholics.. but this is not the case. i moved to London 6 months ago and i did have a few drinking buddies who i probably won't be hanging out with a whole lot these days. but most people i know are from work or moderrate drinkers. it's the current UK lifestyle! drink is everywhere. lets get drinks, lets meet for drinks.. i find myself in awkward situations...

including at work. every day, but especially on fridays, meetings continue at the pub and i am literally falling "behind". i did go once and did not drink. i did not feel that awkward but people asked why i was not drinking.

ideas? what to say when people overtly ask why you're not drinking? (i've been saying "i'm on a diet and health kick after december" but it won't last too long into the new year will it?) what to do about invitations to pubs/clubs? i do miss having a nightlife. maybe i am lame but i don't think i could go clubbing without alcohol/drugs. but if i keep saying no to people i feel bad. also, what to do about the work socialization that i am missing out on because of the pub setting?

what about fun activities to do at night without drink? my husband and i have been watching lots of movies, cooking and have gone to the opera. but i am looking for more of a group/social/nightlife thing. will i maybe have to give up on this aspect of life? what are your thoughts?

i am sure osme of you have faced similar issues. so i'm all ears.

all the best,

vee.