View Single Post
Old 01-20-2007, 12:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
dogandbooklover

Thanks everyone!

I do think all of you are right about Christopher doing this on his own. I know that I can't help, even though I want to 'fix' everything, but I can be here for him if only on the phone, e-mails, etc. He is on an outpatient basis and has been prescribed Librium. Which, as I understand it, is the standard way to go. He will be seeing the doctor tomorrow, then again on Monday and Tuesday. You know what he told me? He has begun keeping a journal about how he feels and what effects the Librium has on him and basically how he feels now that he has begun this journey [my words, he doesn't use words like 'journey' ;-)]. He even plans on taking it with him to the doctor. Of course, I'm sure he's just making notes on a sheet of printer paper, but the fact that he is doing it at all is amazing! I asked, the doctor didn't mention anything about it. He came up with it all on his own. This is a guy who hasn't written or read anything (not work related) in years. The closest he gets is signing his name to the cards he picks out for me. [Well, he does read the cards because he always picks out the ones with the most meaning. He has let me know he reads tons before picking one because he wants to get the one that expresses his feelings the best. ;-)] Oh, and he loves that little button on the TV remote that tells you what show is on. Know the one I'm talking about? Anyway, that is the extent to his reading and writing.

He's actually coming home next Thursday for 5 days. I'm hoping that this is the beginning of a brand new life for him and us.

Thanks again!