View Single Post
Old 01-19-2007, 11:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
dayxday

Originally Posted by dogandbooklover View Post
He says he is tired and fed up with not 'being himself'. This is 'not me and I don't like it', his words. He was even telling me that he knows he can't drink anymore. Period. He had always had the notion that he could moderate his alcohol intake and be 'normal'. He now says he knows he can't do that. Such big steps!

The only bad thing is that I won't be there. It's not really an option for me to travel to where he is at the moment. I so want to be there for him.
My AH made the determination to seek help after his 2nd trip in one week to the ER from overdose of RX and .30 alcohol.

He also had tried to quit or cut down many times but always ended right back where he was before or worse.

Due to a court order I was not there when he went to ER. He kept telling the nurse in ER he wanted me there. She told him that I was probably sick and tired of being there and that he needed to look at what he was doing to himself, me and everyone who loves him. She also told him - if your wife was here you will try to make her feel sorry for you and use her to avoid facing the fact that you have a problem. You need to make this decision on your own. God Bless that nurse and doctor for being so bold and honest with him. He agreed with them and voluntarily went from the hospital to detox and then treatment.

A very big step indeed and you should be proud of him. Admitting they are powerless over alcohol is the first step.

It's okay to let him do this on his own and you can be there to support him by phone for now and in person later.

Don't forget to take care of yourself.

I am happy for you.

dayxday