View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007, 10:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dogandbooklover

A BIG Step for Husband

Christopher, my alcoholic husband, has always tried quitting drinking on his own at home. The latest time was over these past holidays. He has finally decided that he needs professional help. He called me today (he's out of town for job training and new job) and told me he will be seeing a doctor first thing in the morning. This is a HUGE step for him and I am quite proud of him. He sounds so determined. He's never sounded like this before. The fact that he called and made arrangements all on his own in a strange city speaks volumes to me. He says he is tired and fed up with not 'being himself'. This is 'not me and I don't like it', his words. He was even telling me that he knows he can't drink anymore. Period. He had always had the notion that he could moderate his alcohol intake and be 'normal'. He now says he knows he can't do that. Such big steps!

The only bad thing is that I won't be there. It's not really an option for me to travel to where he is at the moment. I so want to be there for him.