View Single Post
Old 08-22-2003, 07:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
LongStrangeTrip

You really are a lucky person to have come to this understanding so early into this. I unfortunately wasn't hit full force with his alcoholism until I was 5 months pregnant with our son.
At that time, I was emotional and vulnerable and since it was the first big blow up, I hoped that it was just a one time thing. BOY have I had my eyes opened for me.
I just love the man so much. He was the love of my life. I simply cannot believe that a woman, who is as smart as me, was so in denial all of these years and allowed myself to become so codependant. I guess intellegence has nothing to do with love and relationships.
I believed the sweet words and promises instead of watching the man's behavior and actions. DOH!!!!
BUT...that is all behind me now. I confronted him and told him that nomatter what he tells himself, I KNOW he is an alcoholic and that if he chooses not to get into recovery that's fine but that I was joining al-anon and that I was detaching with love and not to expect any more tantrums or blow ups or tears because he would be very disappointed!
He hasn't said one word about it but then again, he hasn't had a drink since last friday night. He had surgery yesterday. Nothing major, hernia repair but he isn't supposed to drink. Tomorrow, he is hosting a party here for about 35 people and BOOZE is definitely on the menu.
We'll see what happens...but I won't be here for it. I have made plans with my son and we are gonna hang out!