View Single Post
Old 01-12-2007, 04:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
blessed2be

Originally Posted by Gemini31 View Post
I currently don't have contact with any of my family members. It's just too hard. The holidays were a little lonely, but I never really spent them with my family much anyway. Dad's a severe alcoholic, Mom's an emotional abuser/enabler, one sister is a drug addict, other sisters learned the emotional abuse from my mother and aren't very nice people - eeks the list goes on and on. I know no one's family is perfect, but mine was just way too dysfunctional for me to deal with anymore. I have felt better self esteem wise.

My mom and dad have been trying to get back in touch with me lately, and I almost went for it, but decided against it. They are both super manipulators and I just knew I would be asking for trouble if I opened that can of worms again.

Sorry to hear about your situation, but you sound very smart and strong. I am glad that you married someone stable and are making a good home for your children

Your situation sounds almost exactly like mine. The difference is that I don't have siblings. I have already completely cut contact with my Dad's whole side of the family (except for my cousin that turned out semi-normal like I did...in spite of our upbringing!). I guess it helps to know that of course life goes on and whatever the decision, all of you seem to be happy with the decisions that you made.

Thanks for your great posts! Today was a really good day for me. Full of prayers and great one-sided conversations with my HP! I am trying to focus on "me" and my family and although it is tough...I feel better when I am not wondering what they are up to or if they will call or email me. Keeping busy is key!

You are all so wonderful! I am so glad I found this forum!

Many blessings,
Jennifer