View Single Post
Old 01-11-2007, 03:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
ay100

Thanks for another bunch of encouraging and very informative replies folks. I learn a lot through your experiences and I read almost all the sticky points to have a better understanding on the nature of this disease.

Let me put a new perspective here for you guys to have a better understanding:

I started drinking at the age of 14 and started continiously drinking at the age of 22. I suffer from chronic depression, anger management, panic disorder and my life is one anixeyt filled nightmare Anyway I used to drink like hell until the age of 26. I have been to therapies all my life. But at the age of 26 I cut down my beer intake to 4 cans. I am 41 now and between the age of 26 and 41 it was always 4 cans a day and 6 or 7 during a social meeting. So for nearly a decade and a half I moderated from 12 cans of beers to 4. So I call that a s minor success.

I never crave alcohol during the day, I never want to take a drink early in the morning as an eye opener. I only drink in the evening.

My check up doctor and my therapists (psychiatrist) told me that I was a "problem drinker" or "binge" drinker. So If I try hard enough with my willpower there is a possibility that I could moderate it to normal levels. If not I agree with you folks. It will be total abstinance for me.

Why I started this thread is that I know a guy from my neighbourhood who drank like hell until the age of 60 and now moderated to only one drink per day. He is now 65. He seems happy about his life We had long talks afew months ago and he gave me this idea. He told me it was damn hard to moderate yet not impossible.

I am trying. I will update as the days pass. And I shall be brutally honest about my progress.

thanks once again.