Notices

Can this method be possible?

Old 01-10-2007, 01:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can this method be possible?

OK folks;

What I have been doing for 3 days is moderating my intake i.e reducing alcohol, cigarettes, eating healtier...etc

My normal intake was 4 cans of strong beer 7.4 % alcohol everyday and 6 or 7 occasionally (if I go to a party..etc) and 2 packs of cigarettes.

I tried to go cold Turkey but insomnia and jumpiness and anxiety was unendurable. So I decided to try a new method.

my program is as follows:
First week : 3 cans of beers, 1 pack of cigarettes (I am on day 3 and I am doing ok)

second and third week:2 cans of beer and 3/4 of pack of cigarettes.

Fourth week: 1 can of beer and half a pack cigarettes.

After that 3 beers on weekends (saturday/sunday) and less cigarettes (hopefully total abstinant on cigarettes eventually).

If there is a social function during the week days I might drink 3 beers and forego drinking one day at the weekend.

I hope this is not confusing but instead of going Cold Turkey I am trying this.

What do you think?
Old 01-10-2007, 02:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It wouldn't have worked for me but I believe tapering ones intake has worked for other people. You should seek medical advice if your withdrawal, when going 'cold turkey', was that bad too - as it shows your body is in a bit of a state....
Old 01-10-2007, 02:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Gettinsober said the same thing I would have said, I tried things like what you are describing for 10 years and couldn't do it, but hey if it works go for it, if it doesn't, please do not do like I did and waste 10 years trying every method under the sun over and over again. I was pretty stupid.... well actually my disease had such a grip on me the only way I finally got sober was de-tox. Every one is different, hopefully it works for you.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My two cents: Managing the dosage is one thing, addressing the problem is another. If you're doing the first as a way of beginning the second, great. If not, the problem is unlikely to go away.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses guys. I never deny my problem. I am addressing it. But I am trying to moderate. If I can do it great If not total sobriety will be the only option for me. I will not drink myself to an early death. I am testing my willpower for the first time for a very long time and I am lowering my tolarence and lessening the amount.

I hope it works. I will report back after 4 weeks
Old 01-10-2007, 06:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Definitely wouldn't work for me. I tried that for ages and would wean myself down and then go back up again. And, besides, I found I was obsessing about alcohol. I kept thinking about when I could next drink and how much. Stopping completely was such a freeing experience.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I tried the moderation thing myself... it worked for the short term, but I eventually went back to what I was doing before and then it escalated. I had to quit cold turkey and put up with the insomnia, etc., which only lasted about a week.

I will not tell you that is what will happen to you. That is for you to decide.

Peace, Levi
Old 01-10-2007, 07:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You will only know by trying. Wouldn't work for me. With abstinence, I only have to worry about one thing, not drinking. Attempting to practice self Control of something I evidently can't control is futile.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Good luck with that. If you can do it, my hat's off to you. If you can't, you're probably like us.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-10-2007, 07:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
PGH

When I quit smoking I could not quit that way.. I read something some where the only thing you are doing is making the withdrawl process last longer... Now it may work like a champ for you I wish you luck ! just was not something I could do. With booze I did cold turkey as the DR told me to...

PGH
Old 01-10-2007, 09:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I used to try to moderate but my consumption always crept up to what it was. I now do not drink and haven't for over a year now.

Your list reminds me a little of Bridget Jones' Diary. That whole keeping track of everything. "129 lbs. (but post-Christmas), alcohol units 14 (but effectively covers 2 days as 4 hours of party was on New Year's Day), cigarettes 22, calories 5424." Being in recovery now, I see that book a whole new way.... For me, it's much easier not to even be counting drinks and cigs! (Although the weight, I'm still workin' on that one... )

Best wishes to you, whatever you try and however it goes. We're all here for you!
Old 01-10-2007, 02:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good plan to me as long as your will power is upto it. I used a herb called Kudzu which reduced alcohol cravings effectively. Also, nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) enabled me to stop smoking without cravings. Vitamin B might help with your anxiety - don't know why but it definetly helps me.
Best of luck
Old 01-10-2007, 03:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hope3

Wouldn't work for me, but thats not whats important for you. Whats important for you is what works for you.

We all have to take ownership of our own recovery........

If in the long run it works for you, power to you.
I only wish you happiness and peace. Best wishes, hope3.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've been trying to taper off alcohol (cigarettes not an issue with me)... and it's been difficult. I'm not as far along with it as I wanted to be and I'm starting to think everyone here was right -- that it's just too hard. I've made a little progress, but not much. I'll try a bit longer but I might just have to give up and go cold-turkey. I really wanted to avoid major withdrawals and having to see a doc, etc... but the choice may not end up being mine.

I say we all have to give it a try if we think we can do it. Others telling you it won't work doesn't really mean a thing (though they're just trying to be helpful)... as with everything on *this* alcoholic's journey, I've had to learn the lessons myself. I sure wish I was a better pupil.

Best to you.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

After i had my accident in Feb 90....i didnt
drink for a few months...i thought after
that horrible incident i would never
drink again...Well between Feb 90 and
Aug 90...even when i didnt drink...the
progression of my disease was quietly
growing inside me.....So when Aug 90
arrived I picked up a drink and became
a monster...I tried to end my miserable
life....

The attempt failed and my family stepped
in and did for me what i couldnt do for
myself....A family intervention to save my
ass and life....

28 days spent in rehab picking up the tools and
knowledge of recovery and how to stay sober
ODAAT....ONE DAY AT A TIME..

With Willingness and desire I followed suggestion
so freely passed on to me to help me and
guide me thru recovery...

My will never worked...I tried....even today
I turn my will and life over to Something
or Someone more Powerful than I to guide me.

Providing me with SERENITY, COURAGE AND
WISDOM.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

its amazing what the mind will tell is in how to manage drinking.

cunning....baffling....powerful

If it works to get to detox, ok. but what you gonna do to stay stopped?
Old 01-10-2007, 10:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ay100

Welcome to SR!

I'm looking forward to hearing back from you. I tried to do the same thing as you describe 15 months ago. It gave me deep insight into the nature of my disease. If you are honest with yourself, you might just learn something with your research. I hope you will find answers.

The answers you find might not be the answers you want. During my research period, I found out that I am PROFOUNDLY alcoholic. I found out later that this isn't so bad. I'm alright as long as I don't have alcohol in my system.

Congrats on making an attempt to do something about your drinking problem. Many people don't have the guts to even come to an alcoholism forum and share their struggle and/or approach. I applaud your willingness to do something. I hope you will keep an open mind towards abstinence.
chip
Old 01-11-2007, 03:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for another bunch of encouraging and very informative replies folks. I learn a lot through your experiences and I read almost all the sticky points to have a better understanding on the nature of this disease.

Let me put a new perspective here for you guys to have a better understanding:

I started drinking at the age of 14 and started continiously drinking at the age of 22. I suffer from chronic depression, anger management, panic disorder and my life is one anixeyt filled nightmare Anyway I used to drink like hell until the age of 26. I have been to therapies all my life. But at the age of 26 I cut down my beer intake to 4 cans. I am 41 now and between the age of 26 and 41 it was always 4 cans a day and 6 or 7 during a social meeting. So for nearly a decade and a half I moderated from 12 cans of beers to 4. So I call that a s minor success.

I never crave alcohol during the day, I never want to take a drink early in the morning as an eye opener. I only drink in the evening.

My check up doctor and my therapists (psychiatrist) told me that I was a "problem drinker" or "binge" drinker. So If I try hard enough with my willpower there is a possibility that I could moderate it to normal levels. If not I agree with you folks. It will be total abstinance for me.

Why I started this thread is that I know a guy from my neighbourhood who drank like hell until the age of 60 and now moderated to only one drink per day. He is now 65. He seems happy about his life We had long talks afew months ago and he gave me this idea. He told me it was damn hard to moderate yet not impossible.

I am trying. I will update as the days pass. And I shall be brutally honest about my progress.

thanks once again.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Brutal honesty is the first step in an alcoholic getting sober and staying sober.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Peace, No More Guilt 9/28/2010

ay100..
If that is what it takes it is better than nothing. But let me tell you what I did. I made a promise not to drink for one year. Guess what? I did it. Nothing for a year. From Christmas to the day after christmas the following year. Then I decided I would have a little sip when I was taking down christmas decorations. Well, I made the year.. that was 5 years ago and I have been drinking sence. not everyday, but often and then last Feb I had a very bad hurt come into my life and I have drank every day but twice sence. I guess when i promised not to drink I should have said forever not a year!
But if you can ween yourself down to nothing and STAY there. I say good for you!
Drinking is sort of like people losing wieght, when they go off the diet or way of life they put back on twice as much as they took off. When a person stops drinking and goes back its over board with drinking too.. Just like I did,.
It seems like anything we have to deprive ourselves of, when we decide to have it again we have it way to much, like we will never be able to have it again.
I quit for 5 days this month but that was a few days ago. I need to promise again I guess to get back on track.