View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 08:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Nuudawn

I am not of the belief that any member of AA feels they have the monopoly on God...or his ear when non-alcoholics do not. (Perhaps I misinterpreted what GettinSober was trying to say). I felt a connection to God even when I was a raging drunk! What I will say is that my "spiritual awakening" changed my relationship with God. I had a very arrogant and obstinant relationship with God...I think somehow I thought I knew best and that he existed to do my bidding or something. I was either asking him to execute MY plans or raging at him for my perceived punishments. I have been tremendously humbled since I "surrendered". I don't mean to generalize but it would appear that many alcoholics have tremendous control issues. Although we are quite evidently out of control when active, we drive ourselves insane believing we are actually in control and will go about willy nilly trying to impose our will in almost every facet of our lives. My connection with God was very much about releasing my need for control...recognizing that I was out of control and doing a pretty lousy job by trying to run the show. My relationship simply became respectful and humbled....it was simply about the letting go. Now my conversations with God are much more about gratitude for the blessings I have than begging, moaning and whining.

All in all, my relationship with God is very personal...and oddly enough, I get a really strange feeling when other people are talking about God or when I talk out loud about it. I don't quite understand it. Somehow I feel like I'm diluting or disrespecting or I dunno. Relationships as a whole are personal, and I guess I somehow believe that yapping out loud about them is some sort of emotional infidelity or something. Yes, I realize that is incredibly wierd and non sensical...but it's in me.