Old 01-05-2007, 04:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Macphisto

Originally Posted by sunny View Post
subliminalurge, I just read the address you provided in your last message and made me cry the way I used to cry when I was 12 years old. I do that. I keep on surprising myself.
But please, one more hint of naivity; is not that he has no job and does nothing else but drinking, somehow he manages to have a fairly good sort of life -I mean, he is economically stable, ok, he has no friends, but he treats me nicely and all. Sometimes I think he can manage because he is still young, 33, I mean, Im sorry if Ive got this steriotype of alcoholic people not being able to run their lifes, in a way he does.....what do you thiiiiiiink!!!!?????

I think he's got to want to quit or there is nothing you can do. If he doesn't want to quit you can either accept him as an alchoholic and tolerate it or you can leave him. It's as simple as that. But to get a little more detail, what is it about his drinking that bothers you so much? Does he abuse you? does he neglect things? there has to be something that caused you to seak help. Either way, I don't think these things ever end good... I'm still an alchoholic and have a good job, ahouse, a wife and a beautiful son and another on the way. Unlike your BF I do recognize I have a problem and even then it's hard. I've tried quiting many times but I don't know how many of them were serious. I try the moderation method more than anything and right now it works for me. It may get worse again but for now I'm not ready to quit altogether. Not many bad things have happened to me over drinking except for a few arguments with my wife so maybe that's my problem... I haven't hit a "bottom" that has given me that strong urge to quit completely. It's a tough thing and tough to understand.. it's like I know I should quit for many reasons but just can't do it. As for what it's gonna take, I don't know.. hopefully I can just one day decide I don't want it anymore for for now all I can do is try to control it a little bit and hope that days come soon... good luck