View Single Post
Old 12-29-2006, 10:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
The Persian
emerging from the darkness

I think any of us who have tried repeatedly to stop drinking on our own have had that urge to stop on the way home for a bottle. I know it's been my downfall in the past, and usually one night of drinking begats another and another. I am 21 days sober today, I have had the urge twice, and even though I have in my pantry an unopened bottle of Rum, Vodka and Whiskey (Christmas gifts ugh) I have not even considered touching them.

What motivates me this time?

I hate the hangovers ... the lingering smell of alcohol on your breath even the next morning, which people CAN and DO smell, even though we are oblivious to it and it's been 8 hours or more and a good sleep since we've touched anything.

The redness in the face, which really is a red flag to others of our alcoholism, it's embarassing to say the least.

The ability to think clearly, no blackouts, no memory loss or motor skills loss, bluriness or the feeling of exhaustion.

I don't miss any of these things, and I guess each time I try to quit I seem to associate these things more and more when I think about reaching for that bottle.

Much luck to you, one day at a time, just keep trying!