View Single Post
Old 08-15-2003, 12:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
gracie
Paused

Does staying make you hypocritical?

Ok, perhaps I am confused on this. I suppose I have somewhat extremist viewpoints so bear with me. I was raised by a single mother who is about the strongest person I know - she has never tolerated much of anything that she didn't have to and might be considered a ball buster by most - maybe even selfish. She is one of those people who believes you are a sell out if you aren't 100% true to yourself, a lot of this has rubbed off on me. I am hearing how Al Anon is for the A's wife/husband/whomever. It is designed to help you cope and take care of yourself, right? I just don't see how doing this and really benefitting from it would be conducive to remaining in the relationship at all. I guess part of my fear in seeking this help for myself is the reality that I might take a hike right out of my marriage. Aside from alcohol, there is not one thing wrong with it. He's my best friend.
SO, I guess I am just wondering how do I stay with someone who has this terrible habit and be able to live with myself? Is this not 'selling out?' I guess in love, there is not always a clear cut answer..