Old 12-20-2006, 05:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
miss communicat

Dear Maggie,

Welcome to SR. Its good to see you are ready to make some positive changes in your life.

When I realized that drinking was a problem for me, it was no coincidence that the relationships I had at that time were a reflection of where my mind had been when drinking.

As soon as I became sober and clear, my desire first was to get to know and enjoy myself better, without the baggage of emotional complications. The relationships I had then are no longer current in my life, and for me, this was part of how they say in AA, "In the beginning, change everyting: People, Places, and Things (that are "triggers" emotionally)"

AA also, paradoxically suggests, "In the first year, make no major changes" What is meant here, is not to voluntarily start a new relationship, get married, move to another state...etc, because we alcoholics tend to seek INSTANT gratification and to take any actions that appear to relieve of us momentary emotional discomfort.

If a relationship ends because it jeopardizes a persons sobriety, that is a positive change. If it deepens because of a person's sobriety, there again is a positive change.

However, it is not the focus nor should it become the focus of a person's life in early sobriety. Early sobriety is very very vulnerable. Please keep the focus on you, find and immerse yourself with support for staying sober.

First Things First.

Good luck to you!