View Single Post
Old 12-14-2006, 07:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mcerra16
Meg

How do I change...

what I do when she doesn't change what she is doing? That's my big questions for the last few months and I am really grateful to have found some people that may be able to offer insight and support. I posted in the newbie section as well but here is a little background...

I am 23 and have an alcholic mother. She was WONDERFUL while my brother and I were growing up. She was a single parent but we could have never wanted for more love, attention or support. When both of use left for college and she had a business fail things went downhill fast. Days before my 21st bday I ended up taking her to the hospital for a "migraine" only to find out her BAC was 4 times the legal limit. There had been problems for months and I suspected alcohol for many reasons but on the same hand ignored it. Following that bday she detoxed in my apartment at school. I had wonderful friends who helped me "look after her" to make sure there were no problems during the detox all during finals week. Following that I decided she may benefit from moving in together. All went well unless I left town for a weekend and then we were back where we started. I continued to try and support her, get her help and understand but I am at a point now where I can't help anymore. I can't understand the lying, deception and the what seems to be a complete lack of concern for what she is doing to herself, me and my younger brother.

Things have been coming to a head more and more lately as we moved cross country, again moving in together, and me continuing to trust that there was some progression towards recovery. Tonight actually came to her slapping me which she has never done before although I was provoking her.

Sorry this is so long I just needed to vent and am hoping to hear some advice and/or words of wisdom.