Thread: Ironic question
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2006, 08:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
nevergivingup
President

Okay, I know I'm a little late. LOL!

I have also have insomnia. In my case, I've pretty much had it since I was young. It comes in spurts, and at times, if I don't take any preventative steps, I can be awake for atleast a week, and fully functioning. I'll eventually crash, and sleep for sometimes 30 hours straight.

With that being said, since I'm somewhat opposed to medications, because the medically prescribed kinds can be addictive, and the OTC kinds just don't work for me, I spent much time teaching myself to fall asleep.

I know it sounds bizarre, but this is what I do.......

I never take a shower or bath before going to bed (while in insomnia mode). It tends to awaken my body, making it harder to fall asleep.
I make sure my bed is made, and the sheets are clean.
I do not turn on the TV in my room.
I reserve my bedroom for sleeping.
If I lay in bed for more then 30 minutes, I get up, leave the room, and read a book.
I don't allow myself to nap during the day to make-up for missed sleep. This just leads into a poor sleep routine, and makes it harder to sleep at night.
I enforce a cut off time for myself for work, phone calls, computer, TV, etc. This allows my mind to be free of all those issues that I usually obsess on, that allow my mind to become restless.
I make sure the room is a little cold. For me, if it's too warm, I'm uncomfortable, and my body becomes restless. If it's cold, I'm more likely to want to be under the covers.
I keep my pets out of my room.
I avoid caffeine and nicotine before going to sleep, and if I cannot sleep, I do not allow myself to get up and have a cigarette or a soda or anything like that.

Finally..... I've developed a sleep routine, and have developed a soothing scenario to focus on when I close my eyes. For me, I picture a big, soft, cozy, clean, fresh bed with white sheets. I picture making the bed. The sheets flying in the air. Big fluffy pillows. A big, soft comforter, etc. I don't allow myself to think of anything but this. It's somewhat of a behavior modification technique, and usually signals my brain to go into sleep mode.

Hope those tips help. I know they're helped me.