Old 12-02-2006, 05:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kellye C

Hi Sharon,

I had no idea when I walked into my home group on July 6, 2004 that I would end up with a second family and a large one at that! I was there because I could no longer drink. Period. I was there because my life was miserable and I was quickly killing myself with the bottle and could not stop.

What I ended up with is so much more. I was freed from the obsession of the drink. My sobriety date is August 8, 2004. I was given a new design for living that allows me to face life rather than seek to escape from it. Family relationships were repaired. I got a new job in 04 that I could have never held while drinking. I have my health back with no apparent lasting damage.

And then the people. My home group is full of many characters, most of whom I love but some who I tolerate. Like any family it takes all types. It is like my own live soap opera. I go in wanting to catch up on everyone's lives and let them in on mine. When I have to miss for more than a day or two I really miss these people. We go out and socialize outside the rooms. We phone each other. We check up on each other. We support each other when need be and we say the hard things that need to be said when need be. I had no idea the support system I was tapping into by going into AA. Now not only do I have friends in the rooms but I also have a fiance and a future mother and father in law in there too! The engagement will be "official" with the engagement ring and all sometime in the next couple of weeks. Meanwhile we are busting a gut trying not to let on but that's the other part of being in a group where everyone knows you. I doubt anyone will be shocked when we make the announcement and we've already been predicted to be the next marriage in our group (we've had several!).

As far as self-love I am still learning about that. I credit my HP and AA for teaching me how to love me and how to love others.

Thanks Sharon for this topic and allowing me to share. You always come up with cool, thought-provoking topics.

Hugs,
Kellye