View Single Post
Old 11-24-2006, 11:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
DavidV13

Thanks to everyone for your honest perspective. I appreciate it.

The funny thing is that I am a people person. I love people. I am good at interacting with people. I am in sales so need to be I guess that is the ironic part. Perhaps, I am too ashamed of my addiction to discuss something that real with relative strangers. I don't know. Somehow it seems more uncomfortable to do that in person than here on the forum. I do appreciate other's thoughts and look forward to reading other's comments on this forum.

I definitely do not want to compromise my sobriety (of 10 days) by being overconfident. At the same time, going to AA and admitting I am powerless seems very uncomfortable. I am guessing that most out here would look at me as a very new to sobriety, figuring out my way and therefore naive to the traps. That seems like a reasonable argument to me especially since those with that opinion have much more sobriety and experience than I do. Again, the whole powerless thing does not seem to be a fit for me. I have overcome some fairly big obstacles in my life. To those that find AA as the answer, please do not take my comments as critical. I am just trying to find my own way and very much appreciate the perspective I am receiving in this thread. Perhaps, I will change my mind. I did try AA about 2 years ago and did not have a very good experience. What other support groups are available? In addition to this forum, I have almost every book out on alchoholism. My personal need for a face-to-face support group is my real question.