View Single Post
Old 11-24-2006, 07:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DavidV13

Does everyone need a support group?

I am not sure why I am asking this question, but I guess it is since I am not in love with the idea of AA. I have always thought of myself as someone that can accomplish anything by myself. I have overcome a lot of adversity throughout my 40 years of living and mostly due to simple persiverance. I have managed to overcome a difficult and very modest childhood and now live a completely different life. My life is much more predictable - I grew up with an alcoholic dad and my mom was impacted by this as you can expect, not to mention the entire family. My family (wife & kids) is loving and does not want to anything. The only (or so I think) big elephant in the room is my drinking which is unpredicatable. I am now addressing that, but the question is should I do it alone.

I realize that most out here are part of some kind of support group (in addition to this site which serves as one as well) so I thought I would pose the question. Can some people change their lifestyle on their own or does everybody need some kind of support group? I realize that my lifestyle needs big changes. Am I trying to fool myself into thinking that I am different than everyone else? Perhaps, this is part of being newly sober. I would love other's perspective on this.

Thanks,
David.